Govan is a district and former burgh in the southwestern part of the City of Glasgow, Scotland. It is situated 2. 5 miles (4. 0 km) west of Glasgow City Centre, on the south bank of the River Clyde, opposite the mouth of the River Kelvin and the district of Partick. It was incorporated into the city of Glasgow in 1912. During the Middle Ages, Govan was the site of a ferry which linked the area with Partick for seasonal cattle drovers. According to medieval legend, Constantine, a 7th-century King of Strathclyde, founded a monastery under the rule of Columbanus in Govan. In the 18th and 19th centuries weaving and coal mining were important and in the early 19th century shipbuilding emerged as Govan' s principal industry. In 1864, Govan gained burgh status, and was Scotland' s fifth largest burgh.
|Формат:|| Страниц 80|
Книга по Требованию